Join Our Team
30 Caledonia Street, Suasalito, California, United States
Please Apply at Smart Recruiter
Sustainable Surf is a 501c3 non-profit based in California. Our mission is to reverse climate change and regenerate the health of the ocean planet. We blend non-profit activism with entrepreneurial business methods, to create a highly innovative culture that is having a global impact with the potential to scale much higher.
The SeaTrees program protects and restores blue carbon coastal ecosystems globally, including kelp and mangrove forests, seagrass meadows, coral reefs, and coastal watersheds. These are the most impactful ecosystems on the planet for carbon sequestration and are biodiversity hotspots. We currently operate 16 projects around the world, with a goal of developing 100 projects by 2030.
The Ecoboard Project program has defined the standard of a more sustainable surfboard, and is now being used by the world’s best surfers and surfboard brands. Since 2011, 450,000 verified Ecoboards have been made globally.
Everything starts with a story, and this position will tell the stories of positive impact from our programs. We have a treasure trove of media content that needs to be managed, edited and produced into compelling videos, articles, and social media snippets. Additionally, we will travel to our SeaTrees projects and Ecoboard partners to collect media content and create photo and video assets for use on our platform and by our corporate donors.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for ocean life, culture and science, be comfortable with international travel in potentially challenging environments, and be a skillful storyteller that can produce in a fast-paced, global context.
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage the media content strategy for our varying audiences and platforms, including short films and social media.
- Execute and manage the entire media production process, from media capture, post-production, budgets and outside personnel
- Train and manage SeaTrees project partners to produce compelling and informative media content for use in our storytelling
- Identify and manage content partnerships with climate and conservation influencers and writers.
- Travel to new and existing project sites alone or alongside partners to obtain media content. (travel will be 10-20% of total time)
- Catalog and maintain our media content library.
Essential Skills + Requirements
- 3-5 years of film and photography production experience, ideally in the field of conservation or climate change
- Excellent storytelling skills.
- Proven ability to create visually stunning reels using high quality photography and videography for use across multiple social media platforms (please attach/link to example).
- Working knowledge of video settings and technical gear, including drone, GoPro, water housing, DSLR camera, audio equipment and data storage.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, with a strong emphasis on Premiere Pro, Lightroom and After Effects (or similar)
- Strong understanding of social media trends, posting strategies, insight data, hashtagging, partnerships and links to our website.
- Ability to produce content efficiently in time sensitive environments amidst competing time zones.
- Proven ability to manage production budgets (travel, accommodation, contracted film crew, equipment hire, post-production)
- Experience working in different countries with local sensitivities.
- Excellent written communication skills, with a strong attention to detail.
- The ability to interpret and communicate complex scientific concepts into broadly comprehensible and engaging stories for a wide audience.
- Knowledge of basic marine conservation, science, climate change and international development
- Comfortable capturing media in the ocean and on boats
- Scuba or free-dive experience
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Active passport
- Drivers license
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Ability to work flexible hours (including some weekends and evenings), as needed.
- Ability to work effectively from a home office and in a remote team setting.
- Ability to work independently and to self-manage.
- Ability to set priorities, manage a multitude of details simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, and meet deadlines and commitments.
- Welcome other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups as well as external project partners.
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion.
Job Type: Full-time, salaried
Compensation : $70,000-$80,000
Benefits: medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, 401k
Work Location: California / San Francisco Bay Area (preferred)
Blend of office and work from home
This position anticipates domestic and international travel
To apply, please submit the following at SmartRecruiter.com
- Cover Letter
- Max. one page dot-point summary explaining how you meet the Essential Skills and Requirements
- Upload or link to Instagram Reel and/or video examples.
Sustainable Surf provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.