WE restored a blue whale-sized patch of kelp TOGETHER
As Earth Month comes to a close, we’re giving THANKS to the community of ocean-lovers all around the world that made our Patch the Planet Earth Day campaign a huge success.
For those that missed it - we released a limited edition Help California’s Kelp hat that funded the restoration of more than 1000 sq ft of kelp. That’s more surface area than a large Blue Whale would cover!
The hats sold out in a day. Leaving us inspired, that even while everyone is being challenged in their everyday lives by this healthcare crisis - people like YOU, are more committed than ever to protecting and restoring the health of our coastal ecosystems.
- Everyone who purchased hats - they’re on the way
- The Bay Foundation - for developing and managing their amazing Giant Kelp restoration project off the coast of Palos Verdes, California
- Artist Britt Tobia - for creating the Help California’s Kelp art and bringing his lifelong experience surfing and fishing off the California coast to the art he created
- Art curator Charles Adler - for connecting Britt to this campaign and curating a long list of artists for the ongoing Patch the Planet project
- The Boardriders Foundation - for helping us to kickstart Patch the Planet and for donating the hats “Re-patched” for this project
- Our Board advisor Steve Reiss - for his vision to Patch the Planet and his role in securing the hats
- Scott at Slightly Choppy - repatching hats and capturing the process with inspiring photos isn’t easy when you’re at home
- Everyone who helped to promote Patch the Planet to ocean-lovers all over. Including - Bianca Valenti, Greg Long, Alison Teal, Pacha Light, Moona Whyte, Belinda Baggs, Lex Weinstein, Tyler Fox, Sachi Cunningham, Pedro Bala, Yves Behar, Stephen Jenkins, Al McKinnon. And all of our amazing brand partners that helped spread the word.
- And last, but not least – the Charles Schwab Family Foundation, the Peter and Mimi Hass Fund, and the Graves Family Foundation for supporting the core work of our organization, including the development of programs like SeaTrees.
Artist Stephan Jenkins, Surfer Bianca Valenti, Designer Yves Behar, Waterman Tyler Fox, and Filmaker+ Chris Malloy - wearing their fav way to Help California's Kelp
Where are we sailing to next on this journey to Patch the Planet?
We’re planning on making this a semi-regular occurrence. Our sights are firmly set on going one better for World Oceans Day on June 8. Watch this space. Keep an eye out for more products with a purpose, as we look for more ways to Patch the Planet.
And once we're able to gather safely together in-person - hopefully in late Fall 2020 - Sustainable Surf/SeaTrees will be collaborating with the Boardriders Foundation [and it’s chairman Bob McKnight, founder of Quiksilver] to produce the first Patch the Planet art & music gathering.
Our friends at Sensi Graves have this little stretch tip to get you moving. Bonus - we’re planting a mangrove for every bikini that they sell during Earth Month.
Want a little help to get surf-ready?
Our friends at Traveler shared this little video that we’re unashamed to reshare.